Last Updated on May 27th, 2018
Do you prefer antibacterial soaps over normal soaps?
Using an antibacterial soap has many benefits and this is the reason why we have compiled a list of ten best antibacterial soaps which are popular for their soothing compositions and great results. A list of common FAQs associated with antibacterial soaps is also attached at the end to help you understand more about these soaps.
10 best antibacterial soaps available in the market include:
Editor Pick Best Antibacterial Soaps
Dial Lavender & Twilight Jasmine Antibacterial Deodorant Soap
Available in two sizes of 10 and 12 bars each, this antibacterial deodorant soap from Dial is made with fresh lavender and twilight jasmine. It is non-drying and offers protection from bad odor all day. The soap is just enough in terms of size and can be held easily without the risk of slippage. It produces a rich lather and can be rinsed easily. The skin feels soft and hydrated after wash and the fragrance stays on the skin for some time. Each soap bar is of 4 ounces so it lasts for around 15-20 days if you use it twice a day. The price of the pack is a little high but you get multiple soap bars which eliminate the need to buy a soap bar after every few days.
- The fresh lavender and jasmine scent invigorates the skin and makes it feel fresh.
- The size of the soap is easy to handle and it does not slip easily.
- Produces rich and creamy lather which is easy to rinse.
- Eliminates bad odor and protects you from body odor for the whole day.
- The price is a little high as compared to other soaps.
- Some people do not find the fragrance very distinguishable.
Safeguard Antibacterial Deodorant Bar Soap
Designed to kill at least 99% of germs, this soap bar is a great option to consider if you do not like heavily-fragranced products. It cleans your skin thoroughly and washes away all the germs and dirt while controlling body odor. The main ingredients of the soap include Triclocarbon, water, glycerin, coconut acid, and fragrance in addition to other lathering agents. It lathers well and does not leave any residue on the skin. The soap is available in two size options to choose from and is of solid beige color. The fragrance of the soap is very fresh but it is not very strong. The price of the soap is quite affordable and you can buy packs of multiple soaps to save some more money.
- Kills 99% of the germs from your skin in one wash with its antibacterial formula.
- Does not leave any residue on the skin.
- The fragrance is light and clean and leaves the body smelling fresh.
- Available in multiple packs so you can get a year’s supply of soap at an affordable price.
- Contains triclocarbon which is not preferred by some users.
- The fragrance of the soap does not stay on the skin for long.
Cuticura Medicated Antibacterial Bar Soap
Recommended by dermatologists, this antibacterial soap is great for blemish-prone and acne-prone skin and is paraben-free. It is available in two sizes and is very gentle on the skin due to its non-comedogenic formula. The main active ingredient of this soap is triclocarbon which is an antibacterial agent and absorbs excess dirt and oil from the pores of the skin. It cleans the skin well and reduces the chances of acne breakouts due to sweat or germs. The color and the fragrance of the soap are refreshing and the blue color reminds you of the ocean while bathing. This soap is more suitable for oily or sensitive skin as it does not hydrate the skin very well. The price is reasonable as compared to the quantity.
- The color and the fragrance of the soap are very refreshing and uplifting.
- It is suitable for oily and sensitive skin and controls acne breakouts.
- The price is affordable and the two size options allow you to try the soap easily.
- Absorbs excess oil and dirt from the skin and makes it feel smooth and soft.
- Is not hydrating enough for dry skin as the formula is more suited to absorb oil from the skin.
- Contains triclocarbon which is not preferred by some of the users.
Dettol Antibacterial Hand and Body Bar Soap
When it comes to soaps, Dettol is one brand which is very popular for its powerful original formula which eradicates germs quickly without damaging or drying your skin. It is available in a pack of 12 bars and the size of the soap is very handy and travel-friendly. The fragrance of the soap is very soothing and it does not irritate the skin. This soap can be used by all skin types as it cleans the skin without drying it or over-hydrating it. The color of the soap is light yellow and it can be used by people of all ages. It also reduces itching and controls rashes by healing and repairing your skin with regular use. It has an antiseptic formula which cleans the skin by eliminating body odors and killing the bacteria. The price of the soap is very reasonable.
- The soap contains antiseptic and antibacterial ingredients which heal and protect the skin from germs.
- Has a soothing fragrance and does not dry out the skin.
- Can be used by all skin types and age groups and is very affordable.
- Controls body odor and does not cause skin irritation.
- Some users find the fragrance of the soap very clinical.
- Is available in a pack of 12 soap bars so it is difficult to try the soap before purchasing the bigger pack.
Vi-Tae 100% Natural and Organic Handmade ‘Get Lathered Up’ Soap Bars
With 21 scents and four sizes to choose from, the Vi-Tae antibacterial soaps are hand-crafted and use natural and organic plant-based ingredients which are good for the skin. The Get lathered Up soap contains lime, patchouli, and lemongrass as the main ingredients which refresh the skin and kill the harmful germs present on the skin. They disinfect the skin in a gentle way and lend a soothing fragrance to the soap bar. The soap also contains coconut oil and sunflower oil which replenish the moisture levels of the skin and leave it feeling supple and smooth. These soaps do not contain any harmful preservatives, chemicals or colors which can harm the skin in the long run. The price of the soaps is high but the hand-crafted organic formula makes them worth the high price.
- Contains natural organic ingredients which are soothing on the skin.
- The coconut oil and sunflower oil hydrate the skin and the other ingredients disinfect and clean the skin.
- The fragrance of the soap is very uplifting and fresh.
- Is free of artificial colors, chemicals, and preservatives which lead to harmful skin infections.
- Is expensive as compared to other antibacterial soaps available in the market.
- The soap stings a little on sensitive skin.
Aromavita Antibacterial Oregano Oil Soap
With three sizes to choose from, this oregano soap from Aromavita is handmade and can be used for curing itchiness, rashes, or dry skin concerns. It has an antibacterial and antiseptic formula which hydrates the skin while cleaning it. The soap contains 3 % pure oregano oil which is known for its skin-healing properties. It also contains almond oil which repairs the skin and makes it look healthy and soft. This soap is a bit strong so it is not advisable to use on delicate areas as it can cause a mild burning sensation. It cures nail and foot fungus also so you can understand how strong the formula is. The price of the soap is high as compared to other antibacterial soaps available in the market.
- Contains pure oregano and almond oils which heal the skin and cure common skin ailments.
- The formula is antibacterial as well as antiseptic and anti-viral so it kills all types of germs.
- The consistency of the soap is soft on the skin and does not cause rashes.
- It lathers well and rinses without leaving a residue on the skin.
- Causes a mild burning sensation if used in delicate areas like armpits.
- The price of the soap is a little high because of the handmade formula.
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar for Dry/Sensitive Skin
Cetaphil is one of the most popular brands when it comes to making skincare products for sensitive skin and this soap is one of the bestsellers from the brand. It has a soap-free and detergent-free formula which is suitable for dry to sensitive skin. It produces enough lather to clean your skin and rinses easily. The soap bar is white in color and it hydrates the skin if you use them regularly. It is suitable for all skin types and can also be used for eczema and rosacea symptoms as it heals the skin from within. The soap has a very mild and clean fragrance so it is good for people who do not use heavily-fragranced products. It does not leave a film on the skin like some other soaps. The price of the soap is really affordable as you get 6 soap bars at an affordable price.
- Has a very mild and gentle formula which is suited for dry and sensitive skin.
- Does not strip the skin of its natural oils and leaves it feeling soft and smooth.
- Comes in a pack of multiple soap bars at a very affordable price.
- The clean and light fragrance does not irritate the skin.
- Dries the skin if you use it more frequently than required.
- Some people find the fragrance not as mild as the product claims it to be.
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Noble Formula 2% Pyrithione Zinc (ZnP) Original Bar Soap
Formulated with pure emu oil and olive oil, this soap bar is available in three sizes and four colors. It is known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties and can be used for treating psoriasis, eczema, and dry skin issues. The soap bar also contains oatmeal which gently exfoliates and soothes the skin. It cleans the skin and removes excess oil and dirt from the pores. The Emu oil and olive oil create a protective barrier on the skin which protects it from the harmful pollutants and dirt it is exposed to. Another active ingredient of this soap is Pyrithione zinc which is a well-known antibacterial ingredient. This soap bar does not lather as much as other soaps as it does not contain harmful lathering agents which can dry out your skin. It is a bit expensive as compared to other soaps but the usage of rare and precious emu oil justifies the high price.
- Contains Pyrithione zinc and Emu oil along with olive oil to exfoliate and clean the skin.
- Can be used to treat common skin concerns and does not dry out the skin.
- Does not contain chemical-based lathering agents which harm the skin.
- Is available in three sizes to choose from.
- Contains oatmeal which soothes and hydrates the skin.
- Can lead to breakouts if your skin is very sensitive to oils.
- It has a strong scent which is a cause of concern for some people.
Heyedrate Handmade Antibacterial Tea Tree Oil Face Soap
One of the most expensive antibacterial soaps available in the market, this tea tree oil soap is handmade and 100% organic. It contains shea butter, organic green tea, olive oil, tea tree oil, and coconut oil. These ingredients clean the skin and moisturize it to provide relief from symptoms of rosacea, dry skin, eczema, and itchiness. The soap also works well on acne and kills the bacteria that cause breakouts. It lathers well but does not contain any harmful chemical lathering agents. The size of the soap is huge so it will last for at least 3-4 months easily if you use it twice a day. The formula of the soap is not very drying and it does not sting the eyes. The price is very high but the size of the soap bar is also bigger as compared to other soaps.
- Made up of 100% pure and organic ingredients which are good for the skin.
- Can be used to reduce symptoms of common skin concerns like eczema, rosacea, and dry skin.
- Olive oil, coconut oil, and shea butter repair the skin and add to the radiance.
- Does not contain any parabens, chemicals, or harmful lathering agents.
- Does not lather as much as other soaps so people who like lathering would not like it.
- Is quite expensive as compared to other antibacterial soap bars.
Defense Tea Tree Soap
With two scents to choose from, this soap bar is available in original and peppermint flavors and uses natural eucalyptus and tea tree oils to clean the skin. It removes dirt and oil from the skin and control sebum production to give you a clean and dry skin. The soap acts as a deodorant and controls body odor for long periods of time. It is safe for all skin types and maintains a protective barrier on the skin to protect it from pollutants. It also relieves the dry patches or any fungal infections on the skin and heals it quickly. It has a fresh fragrance of tea tree oil which does not stay on the skin for long. The soap lathers adequately and is very easy to rinse. The price is affordable if you compared it with other soaps available in the market.
- Available in peppermint and original versions so that you can choose the soap according to your fragrance preferences.
- The design of the soap provides a good grip and does not make it slip easily.
- Controls sebum production and leaves the skin feeling fresh and clean.
- Controls body odor for the whole day.
- Dries the skin out as it contains tea tree oil.
- Can make the skin feel more sensitive for the initial few days.
Benefits of using an antibacterial soap over a normal soap:
While the common benefits of using an antibacterial soap are known to everybody, there are several other benefits of using such soaps:
- Kills harmful bacteria and keeps the germs in check.
These soaps are designed to mainly control the disease-causing bacteria residing on your skin and thereby preventing you from various skin and body ailments. These germs can transfer from our hands to our mouths and into the body if not controlled at the right time.
- Keeps skin infections away by forming a protective layer on the skin
These soaps not only clean your skin but also form a protective layering on the skin which prevents other germs and bacteria to stick to the s during the course of the day.
- Keeps your skin smooth and soft by controlling acne.
Most of the antibacterial soaps also contain acne-controlling ingredients which keep acne breakouts under control and clear your skin of blemishes. Most acne breakouts occur due to bacteria and these soaps work better than normal soaps in keeping the acne in check.
- Hydrates the skin and prevents dryness
All antibacterial soaps contain hydrating oils to counterbalance the drying nature of the antibacterial ingredients. These nourishing oils moisturize the skin and keep it soft. You can also use a moisturizer afterward if you feel that the soap is a little drying in nature.
- Contains natural medical-grade ingredients which do not clog the pores.
Organic antibacterial soaps contain plant-based ingredients which clean the skin and absorb excess oil and dirt from the pores without clogging them. This helps a lot in keeping the skin radiant and preventing skin infections.
Q: Who should use an antibacterial soap?
Antibacterial soaps can and should be used by everybody who is at the risk of any skin infection or skin condition which spreads through bacteria. We touch so many unknown surfaces every day and it is always better to protect our skin and health by using an antibacterial soap which keeps the germs under control.
Q: Is it safe to use antibacterial soap?
It is safe to use them as long them as they contain natural and organic ingredients like tea tree oil, olive oil, coconut oil, and other bacteria-fighting ingredients. Some chemicals can leads to the production of antibiotic-resistant bacteria which can lead to other severe health complications so it is advisable to stay away from chemical soaps.
Q: Is it OK to use antibacterial soap on your face?
The facial skin is more sensitive as compared to the rest of the body so it is better to use soaps which are specially formulated to be used on the face. Most antibacterial soaps are designed for the body so they should not be used on the face as they can dry out the skin. Mild liquid soaps that contain antibacterial ingredients can be used for washing face once in a while.
Q: What kind of soaps are antibacterial?
Any soap which contains common antibacterial ingredients like triclosan and tea tree oil are considered to be antibacterial soaps as they kill the bacteria and germs residing on your skin. Regular soaps do not contain such germ-killing ingredients and that is the reason why they cannot treat skin conditions or protect the skin from infections.
Some tips to keep in mind when buying and using antibacterial soaps to get desired results:
- Always check the expiry date of the soap before buying it as most antibacterial soaps contain natural organic ingredients which have a limited shelf-life.
- Do not buy soaps which are heavily-fragranced as artificial fragrances can irritate your skin in the long run and cause other skin issues.
- Always do a patch test of the soap on the inner wrist or inner thigh to check its compatibility with your skin type.
- Wash the soap with clean water after every use and dry it in a soap dish so that the water drains out and the soap is ready for the next use.
- Try to rinse the soap from your skin after leaving it for 2-3 minutes to get the most benefits.
- Avoid buying soaps which are very intricately patterned for grip as these patterns can accumulate water and harbor germs inside the soap.
- Use an unscented antibacterial soap if you have sensitive skin as scented soaps can further aggravate the skin and cause redness and rashes.
- Antibacterial soaps are generally drying in nature so it is better to moisture your body well after bathing to keep your skin clean and soft.
- Read the instructions on the soap carefully to see the full list of the ingredients as some ingredients of the soap might cause any allergies to specific people.
- Do not share your soap with any member of the family or any other person as this can harm you and the other person as the germs might transfer from one body to another.
- Use the soap twice daily to get a bath if you have a very active lifestyle that makes you sweat a lot as the sweaty skin can become a harboring ground for germs and bacteria.
- Soaps which are made up of goat’s milk can be used by people with very dry skin as these soaps are very hydrating in nature and are completely natural.
- Wash your hands with antibacterial liquid soap before bathing as our hands can be the carrier of germs which can get transferred from the soap to the body again.
- A soap which has an invigorating aroma should be preferred in the mornings and soaps with soothing and calming fragrances should be used in the evenings for the ultimate effect.
Do you use an antibacterial soap? Which one is your favorite?