Last Updated on December 27th, 2018
Are you looking for a good eyebrow pencil which can transform your brows?
Eyebrows can make or break your complete makeup look. If you have thin or light brows, eyebrow pencils can make them look thicker and fuller in an instant. The brows are usually very easy to define and the right brow makeup can make your face look a lot more striking. There are many types of brow products available in the market including brow gels, pencils, powders, and waxes. Eyebrow pencils are easier to use on the go as compared to gels and cream brow products. If you are looking for some good eyebrow pencils, here are 10 popular pencils which work effectively in giving your brows a well-defined shape and volume:
10 Best Eyebrow Pencils Review 2018
Editor Pick Best Eyebrow Pencils
L’Oreal Paris Cosmetics Stylist Definer Brow Liner
This slender brow pencil from L’Oreal Paris comes in four shades namely Brunette, Blonde, light brunette & Dark Brunette. The thin tip of 0.5 mm evens out the brows without making them look too made up. It gives a gradual shape to the brows and gives a natural look. This dual-ended brush has a pencil on one side and a brush on the other side to tease the hair to make them look fuller. It also picks up the tiny brow hair which normally stand out when the brows are covered.
The quantity of the pencil is also good as one pencil lasts for around 2-3 months if used daily as very little product is required for every use. The texture and the formula of the product are also smooth and glide on well on the brows without clumping them. The shades work well for all skin tones and the price is very affordable as compared to other pencils available in the market.
- Four shades to choose from which suit all skin tones.
- Thin tip makes it easy to draw short and fine strokes to fill the brows.
- Smooth texture which glides easily on the skin.
- Waterproof formula keeps the brows in shape even through perspiration.
- The pencil is a bit hard according to some users who prefer creamy pencils.
- The color takes one-two swipes to show up.
- The quantity is lesser as compared to other brow pencils available in the market.
What we like about it:
Maybelline New York Define-A-Brow Eyebrow Pencil
This fun and vibrant pencil from Maybelline comes in five shades which include medium brown, dark brown, dark blonde, light blonde and soft black. The formula is smear-proof and stays for 7-8 hours on all skin types. The pencil comes with a built-in brow comb which tames the brow hair easily in one swipe. This micro-mechanical brow pencil makes the eyebrows look sculpted and shapely. One advantage of using this pencil is that you can achieve full brows, natural brows, dramatic brows, or sculpted brows easily with just one pencil.
The formula is safe for sensitive eyes also and is ophthalmologically tested so it will cause no allergies or skin irritation. It is one of the cheapest brow pencils available in the market which works well and is of good quality. The five diverse shades work on the complete range of skin tones. The colorful packaging makes it easy to identify the pencil in your makeup bag easily. The quantity of the pencil is quite good as it lasts for around 6-8 months if used daily.
- Sleek packaging with a built-in comb for grooming the brows easily.
- The transfer-proof formula has a good staying power and is safe for sensitive eyes as well.
- Five shade options make it easy to choose a shade for every skin tone.
- You can create all types of brow looks from dramatic to natural with this pencil.
- Colorful packaging makes the pencil easy to identify in the makeup bag.
- Affordable price.
- The pencil breaks off easily so you have to be very careful while applying it.
- The formula dries quickly so you need to work with it speedily to spread it over the brow.
What we like about it:
ANASTASIA Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Soft Brown
With 10 diverse shades to offer, this pencil from one of the most popular brow brands, Anastasia Beverly Hills, is a bestseller for its natural finish. The shades range from a soft brown for lighter skin tones to ebony and granite for dark skin tones. It comes with a brush to comb the hair. The pencil is retractable so there is no product wastage at all. The soft and creamy formula glides effortlessly on the brows and can even be used as an eyeliner. One thing to remember while using this eyebrow pencil is that it breaks if you use too much pressure as the formula is very soft. Apply very light pressure to define your brows easily using this pencil. ABH also makes a brow pomade in this range if you want to use a pomade to fill in the brows.
The staying power of the pencil is good as it stays for 7-8 hours if you do not wipe your brows. You need a very little amount to draw clean precise lines to define your brows. The price is very high but the brand is known for its quality brow products.
- Ten shades to choose from so you can use a combination of shades for the dual-toned effect.
- The spoolie at the end combs and shapes the brows quite well.
- Ultra thin tip makes it easier to define sparse or thin brows.
- The formula is creamy and blends well to make the brows look natural.
- Pigmentation and staying power is good.
- The price of this pencil is quite high as compared to other brow pencils.
- Thin tip breaks easily if you apply too much pressure so use carefully.
What we like about it:
NYX Micro Brow Pencil
NYX is one brand which makes quality makeup products at an affordable price. This micro brow pencil allows you to define your eyebrows in a natural way. The fine tip fills the brows with precision and makes them look well-defined. It comes in many shades. The pencil also has a spoolie which gives a fuller appearance to the hair. The retractable nature of this pencil makes it last for a longer time as compared to sharpenable pencils as there is no product wastage. The packaging is lightweight and easy to use on the go.
The formula is not waterproof but the formula is water-resistant so it stays on the brows for 7-8 hours even through perspiration. It is a bit waxy and less powdery so it sets well without moving. The hair on the spoolie are synthetic so they are easy to wash. The price of the pencil is quite affordable and it is one of the cheapest brow pencils you can find in the market.
- Spoolie on one side and the pencil on the other side make this a multipurpose product for grooming brows.
- The waxy texture keeps small hair in place and sets the brows for a long period of time.
- The spoolie brush is easy to clean and wash because of synthetic bristles.
- The pencil is quite affordable and the quantity is good.
- The formula is not waterproof so it fades a little with perspiration.
- The shades are hard to match.
What we like about it:
Milani Easy Brow Automatic Pencil
If you are looking for a natural brown pencil which does not cost a lot, this automatic brow pencil from Milani is the perfect buy. It comes in two shades which are dark brown and natural taupe. The packaging is classy and the product shapes and contours the brows easily. It is also one of the cheapest products in this category. The staying power is great with up to 8 hours of wear without any fading or smudging. The packaging of the pencil makes it easy to identify it in the makeup bag. The quantity is also good and much more as compared to other brow pencils. This pencil lasts for almost an year if you use it daily.
The formula of the pencil is creamy and blends well with the natural skin tone without making your brows look stark or edgy. The attached spoolie is soft but it requires a little practice to get the desired results with the spoolie.
- It is a mechanical pencil so there is no need to sharpen the product.
- Staying power is good as it stays for around 7-8 hours.
- The formula is soft and blends well with the natural hair.
- The product is water-resistant so it does not fade or transfer.
- Affordable as compared to other pencils available in the market.
- The tip of the pencil is a little thick according to some users.
- The quantity is less so the pencil lasts for only one-two months.
What we like about it:
BareMinerals Frame & Define Brow Styler
With two universal shades to choose from, this all-in-one brow definer from BareMinerals makes things easy as it grooms and defines the brows with one swipe. The soft wax formula with castor seed oil not only gives shape to the eyebrows but also nourishes them. The pencil is a bit fragile so make sure that you use very light pressure to apply the product on your brows. The slim design makes it easy to hold the pencil.
The colors suit all skin tones and give a natural finish to the hair. You can also build up the color easily if you want a darker color. The thin tip gives precise application. The staying power of this product is also great as it gives well-groomed brows for 6-7 hours easily. The quantity is a little lesser than other pencils so it will last for comparatively fewer months. The price is moderate but you can get it at a discount easily.
- Works as an all-in-one product to solve all your brow concerns.
- Slim design with thin tip makes it easy to create small defining strokes.
- Formula is enriched with castor seed oil which helps in hair growth and makes the brows look healthy.
- Provides a natural look to the brows without making them took waxy or greasy.
- Quantity is not as much as other brow pencils.
- Only two shade options to choose from which might not suit all skin tones.
- The price of the brow pencil is a little high.
What we like about it:
Kevyn Aucoin The Precision Brow Pencil
This pencil from Kevyn Aucoin works well for thin and sparse eyebrows as it gives a fuller appearance to the hair. The pencil is available in five shades but the brunette and the ash blonde shades are the most common and suit all skin tones beautifully. The retractable packaging and water-resistant formula make this pencil one of a kind. The formula contains coconut oil and palm oil which hold the shape of the brows for longer. Vitamin E is also used which grooms the brows and helps in hair growth. It also prevents the hair from shedding or breaking.
This pencil works well in hot and humid climates too without fading or smudging. The price is a little on the higher side but this product is loved by people for its brow defining effect. The quantity is also good which makes the pencil worth the price. You can create both bold and delicate looks with the slim pencil.
- The packaging is very classy and the dual-ended pencil grooms and shapes the brows easily.
- Vitamin E in the formula nourishes the brows and prevents hair breakage.
- The tip of the pencil is very thin so it works well for sparse brows which need only thin strokes.
- It stays in place even in humid weather and does not fade at all.
- Only two shades to choose from which makes it difficult for other skin tones to get a matching shade.
- The price is very high for the quantity it offers.
What we like about it:
Smashbox Brow Tech To Go Taupe Pencil
A great multipurpose product which contains a brow pencil at one end and a brow gel at another, this pencil from Smashbox will give you smashing brows in just a few seconds. The pencil is available in three shades to suit all the skin tones. It is great brow pencil to carry in your bag as it can be used on the go. The formula is enriched with jojoba oil and vitamins to nourish the brows and make them look healthy. It is great for sparse brows as the pigmentation is great and the formula adheres to the skin.
The angled pencil allows you to draw sharp lines which you can blend with the soft gel easily. It stays for the whole day and gives a natural groomed look to the eyebrows. The soft gel holds the shape of the brows and adds sheen to the hair without making them look greasy. The quality of the pencil is good and it lasts for around 2-3 months.
- Great for traveling purposes as it is compact and does not take a lot of time to fill the brows.
- You can create sharp bold lines with this pencil and can blend them easily with the gel.
- The quantity and staying power of the pencil are good as compared to the price.
- Works well for all types of brows and the shade options match the natural brow hair perfectly.
- The shades look a bit ashy if you do not match them well before the application.
- Can make the brows look clumpy if not used carefully as the product is very soft.
What we like about it:
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Revlon ColorStay Brow Pencil
The water-proof and long-staying formula of this product with its angled tip allows for precise filling of brows without the need to worry about fading. It comes in five shades which are soft brown, dark brown, blonde, auburn and soft black. The staying power of the pencil is great as it lasts for the entire day. It glides easily and defines the brows without making them look too thick or unnatural. The blending brush at the other end grooms the eyebrows and softens the edges to make them look shapely.
The soft and smooth product gives shape to the eyebrows and defines them perfectly. The consistency of the pencil is not very creamy so it takes one-two swipes to build the color but it has a good pigmentation. The pencil breaks if you take out too much of product out for application so use it carefully. You do not need to sharpen the product as the product comes in a twist-up form of pencil.
The price of the pencil is moderate as compared to other pencils and you can buy these in multiple packs to save some money.
- Angled tip defines the brows with precision and glides easily on the skin.
- The blending brush softens the look and makes the brows appear naturally groomed.
- The mechanical design keeps the pencil sharp at all times and there is not need to sharpen the product.
- Five shade options to choose from which suit all skin tones.
- The formula is a little hard so you need to swipe the product multiple times to get the desired color.
- It breaks easily if not used carefully so avoid using too much pressure and take only a small amount of product out for usage.
What we like about it:
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Christian Dior Diorshow Brow Styler Ultra-Fine Precision Brow Pencil
One of the most expensive brow pencils in the market, this styler from the house of Christian Dior is what luxury makeup is all about. It comes with a big price tag but the effects make it worth it. The pencil gives you dramatic brows in just a few minutes and makes your face look slender and groomed. The pencil comes with the product on one end and a brush on the other. The packaging is quite sophisticated and comes handy while traveling as it occupies very little space.
The ultra-thin tip gives you neat and natural brows with its gentle formula and brush. It also makes it easier to fill the brows with neat little strokes. The retractable design keeps the product clean and eliminates the need to sharpen the product before every use. This pencil is great for thin eyebrows as it makes them look dark and full.
- Luxurious packaging makes the product worth the high price.
- Ultra-thin tip makes it easy to groom the brows with precision.
- Retractable design eliminates the need for sharpening the pencil.
- The brush blends the product out beautifully without fading it.
- The price of this pencil is very high.
- The quantity of the pencil is very less so it gets over really quickly.
What we like about it:
Check Video Review
Q. Is eyebrow pencil or powder better?
A. Both types of products have their own advantages. Brow powders can be used when you want to get a darker and well-defined look while pencils are used to get a natural look. Pencils are also easier to use as they are handy and can be used on the go easily. Brow waxes are mostly used for taming unruly brows and look stark as compared to pencils and powders. You can use the powder dry for getting a more natural look and wet for a more defined look.
Q. Do you use eyebrow gel before or after you use an eyebrow pencil?
A. An eyebrow gel is normally used to make the brow hair look groomed and in place before the brows are filled with a brow pencil. A gel is especially used when you are trying to achieve a sleeker look which makes the face look more striking and dramatic. You can also use a gel for keeping baby hair in place as they can make the brows look unruly if not set in place properly before defining the brows.
Q. Which color in eyebrow pencil should i choose for my brows?
A. It is advisable to choose a brow color which matches your natural brow hair color as using a very different color can look unnatural and odd against your skin tone. Another great tip to choose eyebrow pencil color is that do not go darker than your hair color. Choose a shade which is one-two shades lighter than your natural hair as darker brows can make the face look aged. Choose a shade with a reddish tinge if you have red hair and an ash blonde color if you have a pale skin tone.
Q. Can you use an eyebrow pencil as an eyeliner?
A. Eyebrow pencils are usually drier as compared to eyeliner pencils as brow products are designed to stay on the brow skin and hair while eyeliners are used for the delicate skin of the eyelid. However, you can use an eyebrow pencil as an eyeliner or even an eyeshadow occasionally but they are not as pigmented or creamy as eyeliners. You can use them as an eyeshadow base also for creating a soft powder base for other eye products.
Q. How to remove eyeliner pencil makeup?
A. Eyebrow pencils are designed to stay for long periods of time and most people often forget to remove their brow makeup when they clean their face. Leaving the brow product on the brow can lead to bacteria growth so make sure that you remove the makeup from your brows also. Dipping a q-tip in makeup remover and cleaning the brows in gentle sweeping motions can help you remove your brow makeup easily.
Q. What color should my eyebrows be if I have black hair?
A. For darker hair, it is advisable to choose a pencil which is one-two shades lighter than your actual hair color to make the brows look well-defined and striking. The lighter natural hair, pick a darker shade to make the brows stand out and frame the face.
Q. How can I permanently darken my eyebrows?
A. Permanent brow makeup is done by professional makeup artists at salons so you can get it done if you want to avoid the hassles of grooming your brows every time you step out. You can also color your brows at home like you color your hair with a dark hair dye. Just make sure that you choose a color which you are comfortable with before beginning the process. Microblading the brows is another method with which you can get your desired brow color easily.
Q. Do your eyebrows have to match your hair color?
A. No. It is in fact completely unnecessary to match your brow color completely to your natural hair color. Just make sure that the colors go well together and do not look very stark on your skin tone. You can try different pencil shades before finalizing the one which looks good and suits your natural skin tone and hair color.
RIGHT TECHNIQUE TO DO YOUR BROW MAKEUP:
Most people tend to follow the wrong technique or skip some steps when it comes to brow makeup and do not get the desired results. Doing your brows the right way can bring a significant difference in the way your face looks as brows frame your face. It is a very easy process if you know the right technique and use some basic good products. A simple brow makeup technique is summarised below to help you use these eyebrow pencils easily:
- Start with a clean face. Dry your brows as water tends to accumulate in the hair.
- Mark where your brows should ideally start and end. Keep a brush on the edge of your nose and the point where the brush touches your brows marks the starting point of your brows.
- Hold the brush at a 45 degrees angle from the side of the nose to mark where the brow should end.
- Brush the brows upwards with a spoolie to see any uneven areas and trim any long hair.
- Use a brow pencil which is close or slightly lighter than your natural brow hair color and fill in the brows with short strokes. Use very little pressure so make the brows look natural.
- The strokes should be in the direction of the natural hair growth. Fill any bald spots with brow powder to get an even shape.
- Use a colored brow gel to lightly coat the brows so that they set in shape and hold the shape for long hours.
- Dip a fluffy brush in translucent brush and trace the edges of the brows to make them look striking and well-defined.
Another great tip to make your brows look professionally done is to blend them using two colors. Choose a lighter shade for the inner corners and a color close to your natural brow color on the arch and the tapering end. This gives a depth to the brows and makes them appear fuller.
COMMON MISTAKES PEOPLE DO WHEN DOING BROW MAKEUP:
There are some pretty common mistakes which people commit when using brow products or grooming their brows in general. Some of these mistakes include:
- Trying to make your brows look identical
Leave the natural shape of your brows as it is and only work to make the brows look fuller and well-defined. No two brows are identical and while trying to make them look same, people tend to overpluck their brows.
- Using a much darker color to fill the brows
Always choose a color which makes your brows look believable as nobody likes fake eyebrows. Always go for a lighter color if you have dark hair and a darker color if you have very light eyebrows and light natural hair.
- Using a wrong brow brush to fill and groom the brows
Using a wide brush to fill your brows or a flat brush to define them can make your eyebrows look unnatural and messy. A thin angled brush works well for brows and a spoolie can be used to comb the hair easily.
- Overplucking the brows
Extremely thin brows never look natural so avoid overplucking your eyebrows unless you are going for a particular look which requires such brows. Let your brows grow naturally and then pluck only the hair which seem out of place and are not contributing to the look. Use tweezers sparingly.
- Not blending the color well into the natural hair
Avoid going out with overdrawn brows by blending the brow pencil into the natural brows with a fluffy brush until they look and feel natural. A spoolie brush works well in blending the pencil color with the natural brow color. It also keeps the brow hair in place for a long time.
- Grooming or plucking the brows too close to the mirror
Most people tend to tweeze or groom their eyebrows standing too close to the mirror or even in front of a magnifying mirror which enhances all the features and does more damage than good for the brows. You might tweeze or pluck even the baby hair that are not even visible in natural light and end up with overplucked eyebrows. Groom your brows in front of a regular mirror and check your brows after every few plucks to see where the shape is going.
- Threading too much from the center to avoid a unibrow
Most people are terrified of getting caught sporting a unibrow so they tend to take out a lot of hair from the centre portion to avoid this situation. This can make the brows look unnatural as the gap in the centre is highlighted. Use the correct technique explained above to make the brows look perfectly groomed and natural.
- Using a wrong brow stencil
Brow stencils might look easy but they often tend to destroy the natural shape of your brows and do not suit every face type. Consult a brow aesthetician to understand more about the right brow shape for your face and then choose the stencil accordingly to get the desired look.
HOW TO SELECT THE BEST EYEBROW SHAPE ACCORDING TO YOUR FACE:
Not all eyebrow shapes look good on everybody as the shape of your face determines the shape of the eyebrows which suit that face shape. The most basic face shapes include oval, long, round, square, heart, and diamond. All these shapes are very different in terms of features and the right eyebrow shape can help them look even more attractive. Let us discuss more in detail about the different eyebrow shapes that suit these face shapes:
- Oval face: Soft angled brows look good on an oval face as this is the ideal face shape and looks well defined with soft brows.
- Long face: Flat eyebrows with slightly tapered ends make a long face appear shorter and structured.
- Round face: High arched brows go well with this face shape as they make it look elongated and thinner.
- Square face: Soften a strong edgy face with curved eyebrows that angle in the middle to take the focus off the square face.
- Heart shape: Start with a low arch and then add length according to the width of the forehead and shape of the chin.
- Diamond shape: High arched curved brows suit diamond face shapes as they make the face look less wide than it actually is and soften the edges.
EYEBROW PENCILS BUYER GUIDE:
The eyebrows are one of the most important features of the face and can redefine your whole look if done properly. Eyebrow pencils are a great way to give definition to your brows easily. There are many brow products out there in the market but you should buy the one which works on your eyebrows depending upon their shape and hair density. The following features should be kept in mind when you are buying an eyebrow pencil for filling and defining your eyebrows:
Choose a formula which is soft and smooth enough to glide on the brows easily without making them look crumpled or heavy. A product which stays for long is preferable as heat and humidity can fade the product easily. Try different formulas like pencils, gels and wax before settling on the one which suits your brows by making them look fuller and thicker.
One of the most important criteria for choosing a brow pencil is the shade. You should choose a shade which works for your skin tone and hair color. For example, if you have dark hair and a light skin tone, look for medium to soft black brow pencils as they suit the hair without making the brows look too stark against the pale skin tone. Go for lighter strokes and build up the color as per requirement. If you make your brows too pale to suit the skin tone, you will look tired and dull.
A fine tip with an angled end fills the brows effectively in a natural way. A brush or spoolie should be used to tease the hair gently for a fuller look. Products which come with a brow gel are multipurpose as you can fill and set the brows with just one product. A compact and lightweight packaging should be preferred.
When it comes to brow pencils, you can expect a diverse price range as there are good-quality products available in the range of 5$ to 55$ also depending upon the brand. You can choose the pencil depending upon the brand you prefer and how the product suits your skin tone.
Here are some general tips and tricks you should keep in mind when buying and using eyebrow pencils for getting the best out of them:
- Always work with lighter strokes and work your way up by building the color as it is very easy to go wrong with brow pencils.
- Buy retractable pencils which lead to less product wastage as there is no need to sharpen them frequently.
- Do not choose a formula which is too soft as the pencil can break easily and the product can fade quickly due to heat and humidity.
- You can also define the brows with the pencil and set them with a light holding gel to give them a neat shape and to make the product stay for a longer period.
- Go for a shade which looks the most natural against your skin tone and hair color. Most brow pencils come in a universal shade which suits all kinds of skin tones.
- Priming your brows with a face or an eye primer before filling them can enhance the staying power of the eyebrow pencil considerably.
- Using a good highlighter beneath the arch of the brows can make them look shapely and professional.
- Keep in mind that both brows are not made to look completely identical. Do not try to alter the natural shape of the brows to make them look symmetrical.
- Stand a little far from the mirror while filling in your brows to see the actual shape. Standing too close to the mirror can highlight minor flaws also.
- Stay within the natural lines and do not overdraw your brows as overdrawing makes the brows look unnatural and fake.
- Try and avoid tweezing your eyebrows very often. You can trim the longer hair simply using a pair of scissors once your comb them in the upward direction.
- Fake a higher arch than your normal brow arch by using a cream eyeshadow in one shade lighter than your natural skin tone and make an arch just above your natural arch. Blend till you see a raised eyebrow effect.
So these are some of the most popular eyebrow pencils available in the market which make the brows look fuller and shapely without making them look too stark against the skin tone. These products are tried and tested by many people who want their brows to look neat and full. This eyebrow pencil buyer guide will help you choose the ideal brow pencil for your face which will add definition to your brows and make them look natural and healthy without making them too dramatic. Refer the FAQs listed above to understand more about brow makeup and how you can master it quickly.
You can also learn the right technique to use brow pencils and some common mistakes which people do when it comes to brow makeup through this article. The right brow shape for your face shape is also explained in detail for you to understand more about how your brow shape can completely transform the way your face looks. Neatly defined brows can enhance your eyes and make your face look much more attractive so choose a pencil which enhances your brows in the most natural way.
Do you use eyebrow pencils to make your brows look fuller? Which is your favourite eyebrow pencil?