Do you think there is a dearth of hair styling tools for natural black hair?
5 Best Flat Irons For Black Hair Review 2018
Editor Pick Best Flat Irons For Black Hair
HSI Professional Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron hair straightener
Specially designed for black hair, this flat iron comes with a travel pouch, a glove, and an argan oil leave-in treatment to protect and soften the hair. One unique feature of this iron is that it comes with dual wattage settings so it is compatible with all plugs in any part of the world. It is designed to straighten and curl the hair. The heat settings of this product range from 200 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. The gentle heat protects the hair from damage and the iron heats up within seconds. You can apply a heat protectant on the hair before using the iron to further protect the hair from damage if you are using high heat settings. The tourmaline and ceramic plates give you smooth and shiny locks without any frizz. Available in four styles, this iron is good for traveling purposes also. The higher models are more suited for professional use. You can also use this iron for thick and curly hair to give them a sleek look. At 40$, this iron is a good choice for people who are looking for a quality hair styling tool.
- Comes with a heat protectant and a travel pouch for ease of use and for traveling purposes.
- Is compatible with dual voltage so you can use the flat iron in any part of the world.
- The flat iron is available in four styles to choose from.
- Offers a wide range of heat settings for different types of hair.
- The buttons are located on the bottom side of the flat iron and are hard to operate.
- The plates do not maintain heat for a long time so you have to heat the flat iron continuously for use.
What we like about it:
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Infiniti Pro by Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Flat Iron
Available in six vibrant colors and three sizes, this ultra-thin flat iron from Conair has oil infused ceramic tourmaline plates which condition your hair while straightening them. The blend of oils with which the plates are coated is chosen carefully for giving maximum shine and protection to the hair. They also protect the hair from sun damage. The straightener comes with 30 heat settings which help you to control the temperature easily according to the length and thickness of your hair. The iron heats up quickly and reaches a temperature of up to 455 degrees Fahrenheit which is suitable for even the thickest hair. The plates of this iron are longer as compared to the other irons and have a smoother surface which adds shine to your hair. If you are looking for a flat iron for black hair on a budget, this model from the Infinity range of Conair is a good option to consider. The price of this iron is lesser as compared to almost all the other brands in the market.
- Is available in multiple color and size options to choose from.
- The plates come with a tourmaline coating and are infused with oil to nourish the hair and prevent drying.
- Offers 30 heat settings so that you can adjust the heat according to the requirements.
- Comes at an affordable price as compared to other flat irons available in the market.
- The plates take more time than usual to get heated up according to some users.
- The plates of the flat iron do not align correctly so it straightens inconsistently.
What we like about it:
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Croc Classic Nano-Titanium Flat Iron
One of the expensive flat irons available for black hair in the market, this model from Croc comes with a digital display and digital temperature control to give you complete control over the heat. It has 25 heat settings and an auto shut-off feature for safety. The plates are made up of titanium with advanced nano-silver technology which sterilizes the hair and deodorizes it. This also prevents odor and gives your hair a healthy fresh look. The flat iron comes with a dual voltage option so you can use it anywhere you go. It heats up very quickly and the temperature range it offers is 200 – 450 degrees Fahrenheit. It gives your perfectly silky straight hair in 25% lesser time as compared to the usual flat irons. The iron is lightweight and very easy to store and carry. The price of this model is very high but if you get it on discounts, it is a great buy for styling long black hair easily.
- The digital display panel and digital temperature control make it easy to use this flat iron.
- It is compatible with dual voltage so you can travel with it easily.
- The plates heat up very quickly and retain heat for a good amount of time.
- Can be used on both thin and coarse hair because of the titanium plates.
- The price of this flat iron is very high and it is one of the most expensive flat irons available in the market for styling black hair.
- The size of the plates is not suitable for very long hair as it takes a long time to straighten long hair.
What we like about it:
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron
With plates fitted with speed silicone strips, this flat iron is one of the fastest ways to get silky straight hair. It straightens the hair 50% faster as compared to other flat irons. It has a multi-level heat controller and uses infrared technology with negative ions to control frizz and heat. The cord of the flat iron is 9 feet and it swivels 360 degrees for ease of use. The plates of the iron are of moderate size and can be used by all hair types and lengths easily. You can also use this iron to create soft curls or ringlets because of the thin plates and the smooth edges. It doesn’t tug at the hair or burn them as the heat is evenly distributed. The nanolonic mineral technology is another feature of this iron which adds shine to the hair and protects it from the heat. The price of this flat iron is very high but you get the advanced technology and patented silicone strips which give you faster results.
- Straightens the hair faster than other flat irons because of the speed silicone strips fitted on the plates.
- The negative ion technology controls frizz and distributes heat uniformly.
- The iron uses nanolonic mineral technology which adds shine to the hair.
- It can also be used to create soft curls as the width of the plates is good for curling.
- The price of this flat iron is very high as compared to its features.
- It is not very efficient for straightening thick and coarse hair.
What we like about it:
Onei MK-I Halo Ceramic Flat Iron
If you are looking for a multipurpose flat iron which gives you salon-like results, this model from Onei MK is a good option as it has an elliptical barrel which gives your curls, flips, and straight hair easily. The dual floating plates glide on the hair and make it easy to style the hair. It has a temperature range of 140 – 450 degrees Fahrenheit with a digital interface to help you keep a control over the heat. The iron heats up and cools down quickly. The iron uses infrared technology for giving a smooth look to your hair. The negative ionic technology prevents frizz and penetrates deep into the hair to condition the cuticle. This iron can also be used daily to style the hair as it is very gentle. The iron has an auto shut-off feature which shuts off the iron after 30 minutes. The price of this flat iron is moderate and way cheaper as compared to other luxury options.
- An affordable and multipurpose hair styling tool which can be used for both straightening and curling hair.
- The floating plates straighten hair easily without tugging or pulling on the hair.
- Infrared technology and negative ion technology ensure uniform heat distribution and control frizz.
- Comes with an auto shut-off feature which protects the hair from accidental heat damage.
- The plates do not retain heat for a long time so you have to keep the flat iron plugged in throughout the straightening process.
- The plates heat up very quickly and can reach high temperatures if not controlled properly.
What we like about it:
What is the best type of plate for a flat iron?
Most flat irons come with ceramic or titanium plates as these are the most popular types of plates which straighten the hair without damaging them. You can go for ceramic plates if you have thin hair which can burn easily. Use titanium flat irons if you have thick and coarse hair which need more heat as titanium holds heat for a longer duration as compared to ceramic.
What is the best temperature to flat iron natural hair?
Anything above 180 degrees Celsius damages human hair and tools which go above 220 degrees should not be used on human hair as they can burn the hair. The temperature should be chosen according to the type and thickness of hair and thinner hair should go for low temperatures while thicker and coarser hair require higher temperatures to get straightened.
What are the side effects of hair straightening?
The most side-effects of hair straightening include dry and dull hair, itching of the scalp, and hair fall. All these side-effects are the result of excessive heat so it is advisable to use flat irons carefully and occasionally. Some of the more severe side-effects include burned hair if you use the flat iron at its maximum capacity continuously for a long period of time.
How do you clean a flat iron?
Many people do not know this but it is very important to clean your flat iron once in a while to get rid of all the residue and dirt stuck on the plates. To clean your flat iron, first, unplug it from the socket and let it cool down completely before wiping the plates with a cotton pad saturated with rubbing alcohol. Then wipe the plates clean with a clean and dry cloth and let it air dry.
Can we use a flat iron on wet hair?
No. It is not advisable to use flat irons on wet hair as the moisture in the hair can raise the heat of the plates to a very high level and this can fry your hair causing irreversible damage to the hair. This is the reason why it is very important to dry your hair naturally or with a blow dryer before straightening them with a flat iron.
How to straighten your hair using a flat iron:
Even with the right flat iron, it is very important to follow the right procedure when straightening your hair as the wrong technique may damage your hair in the long run. Here is a step-by-step procedure to straighten black hair using a flat iron:
1. Wash your hair thoroughly to remove oil and dirt from the scalp and the hair and then let them dry naturally before using a flat iron. You can also use a blow dryer to save some time.
2. Brush your hair gently and remove tangles as any knot or tangle in the hair while straightening can give an unkempt look to the hair.
3. Use a suitable heat protectant serum to prevent any heat-related damage to your hair due to the flat iron. Distribute the serum evenly between the strands.
4. Wait for your hair to dry completely and turn on the flat iron to heat it up to the desired temperature. Choose a lower heat setting for thinner hair and a higher heat setting for thick and coarse hair.
5. Divide your hair into sections so that you can straighten the sections one by one. The sections should be thin enough to fit comfortably between the iron plates. Clip the sections out of your way so that you are left with one section to straighten before moving on to other sections.
6. Place the plates of the flat iron above the roots of the hair and gently clasp the plates together. Move the iron from the top to the bottom of the section and repeat the process until you get the desired level of straightness.
7. Once you are done with all the sections, apply a small amount of hair serum on the straightened hair to smoothen the frizz and tame flyaways.
Tools You Need Apart From A Flat Iron To Straighten Your Hair:
There are a few other products which deserve a place in your hair straightening kit. These tools make it easier for you to straighten your hair and protect your hair from damage. Some of the important products you must invest in to get a good hair straightening experience at home include:
Most people tend to underestimate the importance of having a good hairbrush in their hair care kit and end up with a bad experience. Since your hair needs to be brushed and untangled before every straightening decision, it is advisable to invest in a good round brush which reduces frizz and untangles the hair without pulling on the hair. Choose a brush which comes with soft bristles and a metal core so that the brush can be used on any type of hair. You can also go for a wooden comb with thick bristles if you have coarse hair. People with curly hair should go for a brush with widely spaced bristles so that the curls are not broken.
Separating your hair into sections can help you straighten your hair easily and quickly. Any sectioning clips made up of durable plastic which does not melt due to the heat are good for your hair straightening sessions. Make sure you buy clips which are easy to use and provide a good grip on the hair. Sectioning clips are available in different sizes so you can choose the ones which are suitable for your hair length and thickness.
If you have thin hair, using a hair dryer to add some volume while drying your hair is a good way to add some body to your hair. There are several types of hair dryers available in the market but you can go with a basic one with a few heat settings if you do not want to spend a lot of money but make sure that the dryer comes with a precision drying technology so that it reduces frizz and dries hair evenly. Do not buy cheap hair dryers which are made up of non-durable materials which can melt in the heat and damage your hair in the long run.
Hair Serum & Heat Protectant
Most heat styling tools can cause damage to your hair if a good heat protectant is not used before using a flat iron. Invest in a good heat protectant which coats the hair evenly and protects the hair from the excessive heat. You can also use argan oil as a heat protectant as it nourishes the hair as well as protects it from excessive temperatures. Another hair care product you should invest in is a hair serum which should be used after straightening the hair. It controls frizz and lends a smooth look to the hair.
The last but another important product that should find a place in your straightening kit is a good hairspray. A spray not only keeps your hair in place but also gives a very neat look to your hairstyle. If you are attending a special occasion where you need your hairstyle to stay in place for a few hours, a hairspray will help you a lot. Once you have straightened your hair, hold the hairspray one foot away from your hair and spray evenly to coat all the sections of the hair.
Once you know about the most popular flat irons for black hair, it is time to check out the features to see which one from those options suits your hair and gives you lustrous straight locks. There are some basic factors which must be considered when you are buying a flat iron for black hair. These factors include:
- Hair Type & Length
Black hair can also be of different types like curly hair, straight hair, dry hair, oily hair etc. If you have curly hair which needs more straightening, you should opt for a model which has higher heat settings and offer better heat protection. Longer hair with thicker roots should opt for a bigger size as small plates will not work on that hair type or take longer to give results.
The flat iron should be lightweight and fit easily into the palm of your hands to ease the process of straightening the hair. The plate size should be chosen as per your hair thickness and length. Go for a bigger plate size if you have longer thicker hair and you can choose a smaller plate size for short thin hair. Thin plates are quite multipurpose as they can curl and flip the hair also.
- Heat & Temperature Settings
The heat range of the iron is the most important factor to consider as it is responsible for the results you get. Using high heat on fine hair can burn the hair and give you dull hair. Start from a lower temperature and then go upwards if you have thick hair. Flat irons with adjustable temperature settings are preferable as they are easy to use on all types of hair.
Flat irons for black hair can cost anywhere between 30$ to 150$ depending on the technology used and the brand. This price can go up or down depending on the size of the iron. Go for a good quality iron which fits in your budget as the cheap plastic irons can damage your hair. You can look online for discounts and deals available on your favorite irons for black hair to save some money.
- Customer Reviews
Go online for reading what fellow users have to say about the flat iron you are considering to get genuine reviews on the working of the product. Not all models work for everybody as the type of hair and the settings can be different but you can get an idea of what are the pros and cons of the model you are considering to buy.
Here are some general tips and tricks you should keep in mind when buying and using a flat iron for black hair:
- Prepping the flat iron at the right temperature gives you the ideal results as the right heat is the key to straightening your hair effectively.
- Using a smoothening balm on freshly washed hair and then ironing it makes the hair soft and smooth and the results also last longer than usual.
- Divide your hair into small sections to get effective results as flat irons work best on small portions rather than one large chunk of hair.
- Using a boar brush with the iron gives you natural looking curls which last for days.
- Using a silk or sating head wrap protects your straight hair and enhances their longevity as it protects the hair from frizz.
- Keep the heat to a minimum if you have really fine hair which is prone to breakage. High heat can burn your hair and give them a dull look.
- Go for a multipurpose flat iron as it helps to save time and money by giving you all hair styling options in one tool.
- Carry the flat iron in a travel pouch to avoid damaging the plates in transit as the ceramic coating is the most important feature of the product.
- Check the voltage offered by the plug before plugging in your flat iron as not all irons offer a dual voltage option. Plugging your iron in the wrong plug can damage the flat iron permanently so use a travel adapter if the plug does not support the voltage of your flat iron.
- Stop using the flat iron if you see a lot of steam arising out the hair or experience a burning smell to avoid any damage to the hair.
- Make sure that you read the user manual of the flat iron before using it for the first time to understand more about the heat settings and the plate material.
So these are some of the most popular flat irons for black hair which straighten your hair and make the color look more vibrant and shiny. These irons are good for all lengths of hair and are particularly suited for black hair as they do not impact the color with regular use. Natural black hair can be a little difficult to maintain but they look natural and gorgeous. This buyer guide will help you find the right iron for your black hair which will give you luscious locks within minutes.
Do you have black hair? Which is your favorite flat iron which works on your hair?