Last Updated on March 10th, 2018
Are you looking for a good shampoo for gray hair to keep your silver tones as shiny as possible?
There are many shampoos available in the market which are specially formulated for silver hair but only a few can control the yellow or brassy tones to give you brighter and glossier silver hair which look professionally done. There are few shampoos which do not work on the silver highlights and bring out more yellow tones so it is better to stay away from those shampoos.
These shampoos maintain the luster of the hair and make them look healthy and shiny if you use them regularly and combine them with a good hair care routine. If you are looking for shampoos which work on gray hair, here is the list of top 10 shampoos which will give you a healthy, shiny and lustrous silver mane:
10 Best Shampoos For Gray Hair Review 2018
Editor Pick Best Shampoos For Gray Hair
Matrix Total Results Total Results So Silver Color Care Shampoo
Matrix is known for making specialized products for colored hair and this shampoo is great for silver or white hair. The formula brightens the silver of the hair and neutralizes any yellow tones to reveal gorgeous healthy hair. It also reduces the brass tones which get developed in silver hair with time. You can use it immediately after coloring your hair to tone down the highlights also.
The packaging is classy and easy to use. The formula is great for all types of hair but it is advisable to use a conditioner from the same range for better results as the shampoo dries the hair slightly. You can use this shampoo in combination with your regular shampoo or use it on its own if it suits your hair well.
The fragrance of this product is loved by everybody who uses it. Regular usage makes your hair lustrous and healthy with reduced dullness. The price is great as compared to the quantity.
- Brightens the silver tones of the hair and reduces yellow and brass tones.
- The packaging is classy and the quantity lasts for around 1-2 months depending on the usage.
- Formula is suitable for all hair types and makes the hair look healthy and vibrant.
- The price is great as compared to the quality and the quantity of the shampoo.
- Has a beautiful fragrance which lingers in the hair for some time.
- Dries out the hair a little bit so it is better to use it with a conditioner or any other shampoo which hydrates the hair.
- Enhances the yellow tones if more product is used than required.
What we like about it:
Schwarzkopf BC Color Freeze Silver Shampoo
Designed to strengthen the hair and bring out the silver highlights, this shampoo from Schwarzkopf helps to control color fading and neutralizes warm tones. It is available in two size options and the quantity lasts for around 3-4 months with regular use. The formula contains violet pigments which correct the warm undertones to make the gray color stand out. It cleans the hair effectively and gives a light shimmer to the silver hair while enhancing the metallic tones.
The shampoo is made up of a special cell perfecter technology which strengthens the hair from the roots. It is suitable for pre-lightened hair or cool colored hair. It also helps to retain the color and is good for daily use. The product has a mild fragrance.
At this price, this is one of the cheapest shampoos available in the market for silver hair. You can also buy the bigger size which provides value for money as one bottle lasts for around 3-4 months easily.
- Neutralises all yellow and warm undertones to make the metallic color stand out.
- The two size options make it easier to try the shampoo before buying the bigger bottle.
- The violet pigments give a healthy shine to the hair and seal the vibrant color for a long period of time.
- Has a mild fragrance which does not irritate a sensitive scalp.
- Affordable price.
- The formula is a bit strong for thin hair so it is important that you try the shampoo first before purchasing the big bottle.
- Can leave a violet tinge in the hair if not rinsed properly.
What we like about it:
Miracle of Aloe Softly Silver Shampoo
With 20% aloe and panthenol, this shampoo has an ultra-moisturizing formula for dull and dry silver hair. It restores the silver tones of the hair and eliminates all yellow and brass tones. The formula is fragrance-free so it can be used by people who have a sensitive scalp also. Another great feature of this product is that it contains conditioner also so you do not have to use multiple products to wash your hair. The formula of this shampoo repairs and nourishes the hair while adding shimmer to the gray tones without making them look dry or dull.
It also adds body to lifeless hair and makes them feel soft. Regular use will also reduce hair breakage significantly. The quantity of the shampoo makes it worth the price as one bottle would last for 2-3 months if you wash your hair twice a week. The price of this shampoo is much lower as compared to other brands available in the market.
- Contains 20% aloe which nourishes and hydrates the hair and adds shine.
- Fragrance-free formula with conditioner to eliminate the need to use multiple products.
- Adds volume to dull and lifeless hair and makes the hair feel softer.
- Brings out the silver tones of the hair beautifully and reduces yellow tones.
- Affordable price and good quantity.
- Does very little for the frizz so you have to use other products to control the frizz.
- The design of the tube makes the contents spill if it is not stored carefully.
What we like about it:
American Crew Gray Shampoo
Formulated with hydrolyzed milk protein, this shampoo is designed to give life to the hair and brighten the silver tones. The milk protein also retains the moisture and keeps the hair softer for long periods of time. It removes yellow and brassy tones from the hair and nourishes them from within with its formula. The shampoo conditions the hair so there is no need for an additional conditioner. It is advisable to use the shampoo in combination with a regular clarifying shampoo to get the desirable results.
The formula contains Balsam Canada which is a natural resin which strengthens the hair. The aloe vera hydrates dry hair and adds shine without making the hair feel greasy. It prevents color fading and keeps the color looking natural and glossy. The price is affordable and the convenient packaging is an added advantage.
- The shampoo contains hydrolyzed milk protein which absorbs and retains moisture in the hair.
- Balsam Canada strengthens the hair and reduces hair breakage.
- Brightens the silver tones and keeps the color from fading away.
- Contains conditioner to repair the damaged hair.
- Leaves residue in the hair if more product is used than required.
- Does not work well with very yellow undertones.
- The fragrance of the shampoo is a little overwhelming according to some users.
What we like about it:
Klorane Shampoo with Centaury
Formulated without SLS, silicones, and parabens, this anti-yellowing shampoo is great for color-treated hair. It can be used for both white and gray hair. It enhances the natural radiance of the hair and controls yellow tones. The centaury extracts add shine to the silver hair while working to reduce any yellow tones which might bring dullness to the hair. It also works like a clarifying shampoo and removes mineral and grime from the scalp and the hair to promote hair growth.
The shampoo lathers well and does not leave residue in the hair. It prevents the hair from breakage and dryness. The plant-based ingredients repair the hair and restore the volume with regular use. The fragrance of the shampoo is very soothing and gentle on the senses. The quantity is a little less as compared to other shampoos and one bottle lasts for around a month. The price is a little high as compared to other shampoos but the natural ingredients make it worth it.
- Contains natural plant-based ingredients and centaury extracts which nourish the hair and add natural silver tones to the hair.
- The clarifying formula lathers well and rinses easily without leaving any residue in the hair.
- Soothing fragrance lingers in the hair for a long period of time.
- Suitable for all types of hair and works on both white and gray hair.
- The price is a little high as compared to the quantity.
- It can make the hair look yellow if you leave the product in the hair for too long.
What we like about it:
Jhirmack Silver Plus Ageless Shampoo
One of the most popular shampoos from gray and silver hair, the Jhirmack ageless shampoo is used by many people for maintaining their silver hair. It is available in two sizes so you can try the smaller size first before buying the bigger bottle. Enriched with green tea extracts, this shampoo nourishes white and silver hair and delay signs of hair aging also. The shampoo is designed to provide shine and improve the texture of the hair while combating any yellow or brass tones.
It also contains vitamin B12, vitamin E, folic acid, collagen and macadamia nut oil which provide strength and shine to the hair while enhancing hair growth. It does not dry out the hair or make it look blue as some other silver hair shampoos do. The price of the shampoo is affordable and a conditioner is also available in the same range if you want to use the products from the same range to keep your hair shiny and healthy.
- Two size options with conditioner from the same range make it easy to try the whole range easily.
- The green tea extracts and macadamia nut oil nourish and clean the hair with just one wash.
- Affordable price for a good amount of product which lasts for around 2-3 months.
- Slows down hair aging and makes the silver and gray tones look more pronounced.
- The shampoo can dry the hair if you leave the product for too long in the hair.
- Contains sulphates which can damage the hair in the long run.
What we like about it:
L’Oreal Serie Expert Silver Shampoo Unisex Shampoo
A bestseller from the L’Oreal Expert series, this shampoo is specifically designed for silver or gray hair and is a very popular choice when it comes to cleansing gray hair. It comes in an easy and convenient pump bottle which is compact. There are two size options to choose from. It keeps the silver color intact while working on reducing harsh yellow tones. The formula contains amino acids which strengthen the hair and repair them when used regularly. Another great advantage of this shampoo is that it does not stain the tiles like some other purple shampoos designed for gray and silver hair.
The shampoo is purple in color and should be used for a very short time to avoid getting a purple tinge on your silver hair. It turns dull gray to bright silver with regular usage and removes yellow tones completely. The price of the shampoo is high when compared to other shampoos designed for gray hair.
- Two size options to choose from and the quantity is good.
- Contains amino acids which strengthen the hair and repair them.
- Does not stain the bathroom tiles.
- Brightens the silver tones and reduces brassy tones with just a few washes.
- The price of the shampoo is high as compared to other variants.
- Can leave a purple tinge in the hair if left longer on the hair than required.
What we like about it:
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Provoke Touch of Silver Daily Shampoo
A daily shampoo from Provoke, this product is a favorite among women who love sporting silver or white hair. It is enriched with sunflower seed extracts and UV absorbers, this shampoo provides the hair protection from sun damage and prevents the color from fading. It revives dull and lifeless hair by improving hair volume and strength. The formula is gentle enough to use daily for cleansing your hair without stripping away the color.
It has a nice smell which does not irritate the nose and scalp. Regular use will give you brighter and shinier hair but keep it mind that it can make the scalp feel oily and greasy if not rinsed properly. The packaging is also compact and easy to use. The quantity is great as compared to the price. One bottle lasts for a very long time if you use this shampoo in combination with your regular shampoo.
- The sunflower seed extracts and the UV absorbers protect the hair from sun damage and nourish them from the roots.
- The gentle formula adds radiance to the hair and enhances the silver tones to subside the yellow tones.
- The quantity is very good and one bottle lasts for around 3-4 months.
- The gentle fragrance is suitable for sensitive scalp and does not irritate the skin.
- Can make the scalp feel greasy if not rinsed completely so always wash your hair well after each application.
- The consistency is slightly thinner for a shampoo so more product is used as compared to other brands.
What we like about it:
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
PHYTO PHYTARGENT Brightening Shampoo
A great product from Phyto, this shampoo treats dull white and silver hair to reveal shinier healthier hair. The natural formula works well for sensitive hair and keeps it nourished. The main ingredients of the shampoo include cornflower extracts, broom, walnut leaf, and Rhatany root. The formula is suitable for white, gray, and blonde hair also. You can use any gentle conditioner with this shampoo but keep in mind that the conditioner should not contain strong toning agents.
The shampoo is purple in color and it does not leave a purple tint at all. The color is quite saturated so you need to use only a small amount of product. It lathers less than other shampoos but cleans the hair and the scalp beautifully. It neutralizes the oxidation and reduces the yellow and brass tones which make the hair look dull. It imparts a brilliant shine to the hair with regular usage and controls roughness. The price is high but the effects of this shampoo make it worth it.
- Contains many natural extracts which bring natural shine to the hair and prevent the color from fading.
- Cleans the hair and the scalp well without much lather.
- Suitable for sensitive scalp also and can be used for all types of hair.
- Reduces frizziness and neutralizes the oxidation to make your hair look brighter and healthier.
- The price is a little high but you only require a small quantity for each wash so one bottle lasts for a long time.
- The color is quite saturated so it can leave a tint if more quantity is used than required.
What we like about it:
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Rene Furterer Okara Mild Silver Shampoo
Rene Furterer is known for its hair care products and this product is a favorite of many hair stylists. It is a mild shampoo and contains soybean, Hamamelis extracts, and Okara extracts. The shampoo builds the texture of the hair and provides nourishment to the silver color without taking away its shine. Regular usage results in nourished hair which looks healthy and shiny. It neutralizes up to 92% brassy tones in a couple of weeks if you use it regularly.
The shampoo also contains essential oils which keep the hair moisturized. The fragrance of the shampoo is a little strong but it disappears after a while. The formula is 100% natural and derived from ingredients which are beneficial for the hair. The price is high as compared to the quantity as one bottle lasts for only one or two months if you wash your hair twice or thrice a week.
- Contains 100% natural ingredients which nourish the hair and keep the silver tones bright without any yellowness.
- The essential oils in the formula cleanse the hair and scalp and prevent premature aging.
- Gives visible results in just 3 weeks as it reduces brassy tones by 92% with regular use.
- Lathers well and is easy to rinse as it does not leave any residue.
- The fragrance of the shampoo is quite strong but it does not stay for long.
- The price is higher than other shampoos for gray hair so use the product sparingly if you wish the bottle to last longer.
What we like about it:
Q. How do you get the yellow out of gray hair?
A. All the shampoos listed above work very well in removing the yellow and brassy tones from gray hair but if you are still having some yellow spots, a vinegar rinse is a great way to remove yellow tones out of gray hair at home. Just mix a small spoon of vinegar in a gallon of water and rinse your hair with it. The pungent smell of vinegar might stay in the hair for some time but the yellow tones will reduce over time.
Q. What causes gray hair to turn yellow?
A. The problem with muted colors like silver, white, and gray is that these colors do not contain any pigment that can color to the hair. This is the reason why when the silver color starts to fade, your hair start showing up the color they can pick up from the environment. For example, the chlorine content in the water you wash your hair with or the pollutants in the air your hair are subjected to can reflect on the color of your hair. This makes the silver hair look yellow or brassy after a while.
Q. How long do you leave purple shampoo in your hair?
A. Most shampoo formulas come with specific instructions as to how long you should leave the shampoo in the hair but most people say that leaving the shampoo in the hair for 10-15 minutes works well to brighten the gray tones and reduce brassy tones while cleansing the hair and the scalp. Make sure you choose a mild formula as leaving a strong shampoo in the hair for 10 minutes can leave a purple tinge in the hair.
Q. Why does my hair have blue/purple spots after using shampoo?
A. This problem is often experienced by people if they coat their hair unevenly while using the shampoo as this can leave more product in some areas of the hair as compared to some other areas. This can happen if the consistency of the product is quite thick so it is a little difficult to lather and coat the hair and this is the reason why your hair might end up with blue or purple spots in some areas when you shampoo. You can solve this problem by mixing your shampoo with a little bit of water before lathering so that it spreads evenly on the hair.
Q. How often should i wash my hair with a shampoo for gray hair?
A. It is advisable to use a shampoo for gray hair 3-4 days and not every day as the strong formula can damage the hair in terms of color and texture. You can combine the shampoo with any other daily clarifying shampoo so that your hair can get the benefits of both the shampoos without any damaging side-effects.
Q. Will gray hair look good with my skin tone and age?
A. Many people think that sporting gray hair will make them look older than they are or it will not suit their skin tones. This is not true. Most women and men look fabulous with gray hair if they have chosen the right shade of gray. Another thing to keep in mind is that there is no harm in trying as all hair colors fade very quickly so even if you don’t like your new look, It can always be changed after a couple of months.
Q. Is purple shampoo like a toner?
A. A toner is basically a maintenance product for keeping the color of your hair intact till your next coloring appointment. A purple shampoo also works like a mini toner for your gray hair as it highlights the silver tones and neutralizes all the other warm tones to make the cool hair color stand out.
Q. Why are shampoos for gray hair purple in color?
A. When you refer a color wheel, you can see that purple is a color which works in neutralizing all warm tones like reds and yellows. So when you use a purple or a blue shampoo, the formula works on the hair and allows the hair to absorb some amount of purple pigments which reduce the warm brassy tones and highlight the cooler blue tones.
Q. What is brassy hair color?
A. Any unwanted warm highlight in the hair can be referred to as a brassy tone. Red, orange and yellow tones can be called brassy tones as they lend a warm look to the hair color. These tones can make cool hair colors look untidy and unattractive so the shampoos designed to clean gray hair usually neutralise brassy tones to make the color look cooler.
Q. Can I use hair pomade on gray hair?
A. Some people think that using thick waxy hair serums or pomades will make their hair look sleek and frizz-free but these oily products can make the hair look dirty and dusty as the gray color can look muddled when coated with greasy products. You can use any light hair product which hydrates well without making the hair look greasy instead of the hair pomade.
Five mistakes people commit when it comes to gray hair:
Getting and maintaining gray or silver hair is a little difficult and many people commit these five common mistakes which we have detailed below:
- Not getting a hair consultation before going in for a coloring appointment.
People might not realise it but getting a hair consultation before booking a coloring appointment is a very important part of getting your hair colored gray. The hair stylist will examine your hair and will help you understand more about the process depending on the present condition of your hair and your budget.
- Expecting professional silver or gray hair with just one appointment
There are many factors which govern how long will it take for you to get proper silver or gray hair tones so it usually takes more than one sitting to get beautiful glossy gray hair. It also depends on how easily your hair picks up the color. If you have naturally dark hair, it will take more time to get them colored properly in gray tones. Do not fall for salons which offer proper color in one appointment as this will severely damage the quality of your hair in the long run.
- Not being honest with the stylist about your hair care routine
Most people think that it is a stylist’s job to know about their hair and do not share all the details regarding their hair with their stylist. This does more damage to the hair than good as there are several things that can go wrong if you are not completely honest with your stylist. Share your complete hair care routine along with previous coloring history so that your hair stylist can take care of your hair in the right way.
- Not understanding about how expensive the treatment may be.
Dying your hair gray is an expensive process as it involves many appointments and expensive hair care products to maintain it for a long time. Invest in the right salon to get good results rather than getting your hair dyed in a cheap salon which you might regret afterwards.
- Not going in for maintenance sessions.
Hair coloring is a continuous process involving many salon visits. It is all the more maintenance-demanding if you are coloring your hair gray, the maintenance sessions cannot be skipped at any cost. Consult with your stylist about the home hair care as well after getting your hair colored so that the silver tones last for long. Get a retouching done after every 4-5 weeks to color the roots in gray again.
When it comes to buying a good shampoo for silver hair, there are very few options that maintain the color without damaging the hair. These shampoos keep the color rich and vibrant and nourish the hair with regular usage. This buyer guide will help you find an ideal shampoo for silver hair which brightens the color and takes away the dullness and yellow tones. Keep the following features in mind when going to buy a shampoo for maintaining silver or gray hair:
- Hair type and concern
It is very important to determine your hair type and concern before buying a shampoo as the wrong shampoo can damage your hair in the long run. Silver or gray hair can also be of many types like dry, oily, curly, straight etc. Choose a shampoo which is specially formulated for your hair type and concern. If you do not find a shampoo which is formulated for silver hair of your hair type, you can buy a good shampoo for your hair type which works for colored hair.
Look for shampoos which are natural and contain organic or natural extracts to the extent possible. Chemical-laden shampoos can strip the hair of its natural oils and make it dry. Ingredients like vitamin E, vitamin B12, folic acid, and aloe vera nourish the hair and make them shiny. Not all ingredients work on all types of hair so it is important to try different formulas before settling on the one which makes your silver hair shine.
Shampoos are used daily or once every two days so they can over very quickly. It is very important to find a shampoo which is worth its price in terms of performance. You can buy your shampoo stock online for getting discounts. Go for bigger packs which prove to be cheaper in the long run.
- Customer reviews
Always read customer reviews about a product before making a purchase to hear genuine opinions about a particular shampoo. These reviews will tell you more about the performance of the shampoo on silver hair and if it is actually worth its price. Customers also know which shampoo works best for a particular hair type. Another thing to keep in mind while reading the customer reviews is that look for reviews from people who have a similar hair type as yours and have had a good experience with the product.
Hair care for silver/gray hair:
Now that we have shared with you the most popular shampoos for gray hair, it is also important to understand how to take care of your gray tresses so that they look bright and shiny as always. The right hair care routine for gray hair should be like this:
- Use pure coconut oil to nourish your hair before shampoo to hydrate the hair and control frizz. This can be done by simply smoothing some oil all over your hair and leaving it for a couple of hours.
- Wash your hair with a good shampoo for gray hair. You can choose from the options above and refer to this buyer’s guide to select the right shampoo. Lather well and rinse completely before proceeding with the conditioner.
- Use a good conditioner after shampoo to seal the moisture in and to protect your hair from further damage. Leave the conditioner in your hair for 3-5 minutes and rinse it well under running water.
- You can air-dry your hair and brush them to let them dry completely before using any styling products.
- Take some leave-in serum and apply it from the roots to the ends of the hair to reduce frizz and add some shine to the hair.
- You can also use a hair serum after this step to keep the hair looking and feeling healthy.
- One more product which many people use to maintain their silver hair is a gray rinse. It brings out the gray tones of the hair and neutralizes brassy tones further.
- Blow dry your hair to get a salon-like finish and then flaunt your silver tresses in a great hairstyle which brings out the color.
Which haircuts suit gray hair:
While all types of haircuts can look good if styled well, clean and sharp cuts go well with gray hair as they look stylish and edgy. Choose a haircut depending on the length you want to go to but make sure that the hair stylist does not use a razor as it can make the ends look frayed and untidy.
You can go for a short edgy bob or long curls which look great if you can maintain the curls. Sleek straight gray hair also look good when parted in the middle and set with a hair serum to control frizz. Another great way to sport gray hair is salt and pepper hair which are a mix of black and gray hair which look really sophisticated and modern if done the right way.
Here are some general tips and tricks which should be followed to keep your silver hair maintained without making them look dull, aged or yellow:
- Always rinse the shampoo completely before applying conditioner to avoid a residue build-up in the long run.
- Avoid shampoos which contain parabens, phthalates, SLS or other harmful chemicals which can make the hair look dull and aged with prolonged use.
- Buying a shampoo which has conditioning agents in it to avoid using a separate conditioner every time you wash your hair.
- Limit the usage of color-shampoo to once or twice every fortnight to keep the silver from turning violet as all shampoos which are formulated for silver hair have violet pigments.
- Do not keep the shampoo in your hair for a very long time as the violet pigments can ruin your natural hair color.
- Color-treated hair can become dry and dull because of all the treatments. Applying a hair mask once in a while helps to moisturize the hair and keep the shine intact.
- Keeping the hair protected from the harsh rays of the sun also helps to maintain the lustre and shine of the silver hair. Using a hair scarf when going out in the sun goes a long way in protecting the hair.
- Always make sure that you use only a very small quantity of purple shampoo for silver hair as a lot of product can not only cause product build-up but also leave a purple tinge in the hair which can look unsightly.
- Do not use shampoos which tend to cause irritation in the scalp or lead to hair loss as some formulas are harsher as compared to milder shampoos. Try different shampoos to understand the formula and its suitability.
- If you are using a separate conditioner, choose the one which does not contain strong toning agents which can add to the color as the combination can be quite strong for one time use.
- Some shampoos tend to highlight the brassy tones of the hair if they are formulated for a specific type of hair and used on another type of hair. Read the label of the shampoo carefully before investing in it.
- Try and use gloves to shampoo silver hair as the formula can leave a purple tinge on the hands which can be difficult to get rid off later as the skin on our hands is quite sensitive.
- Avoid styling your hair with heat as heat styling can not only damage your hair but also fades the color quickly as compared to regular styling without heat.
So these are some of the most popular shampoos available for silver hair which make the hair look shiny and healthy without any yellow tones. They also nourish the hair and strengthen them. Following a proper hair care routine is very important for gray hair as the hair can turn yellow very quickly if not taken care of with the right hair products.
This shampoo buyer guide will help you find an ideal shampoo for your hair type and color which adds brightness to the silver hair and reduces brass tones. Refer the FAQs list to understand more about shampoos for gray hair and how you can make your hair look and feel healthier. So choose a shampoo which works for your hair and let your silver hair shine and sparkle all day long.
Do you love sporting silver or gray hair? Which is your favorite shampoo which makes the silver all the more bright?