Are you searching for a good shampoo which is suitable for psoriasis?
10 Best shampoos for Psoriasis available in the market include:
Editor Pick Best Shampoos For Psoriasis
Puriya Natural Dandruff Shampoo
Made with tea tree, sage, rosemary, and arnica, this herbal shampoo not only reduces the symptoms of Psoriasis but also hydrates your scalp and hair to give you a healthier scalp with regular use. It is suitable for daily use and reduces scalp itching and flakiness. It also removes product build-up from the hair and the scalp to make them look shinier and stronger. The formula is completely natural and does not contain any sulfates, parabens, or any other harsh chemicals. The pH of the formula is balanced so you can use it for any type of hair. The shampoo has a pleasant scent which is mild and does not irritate the scalp further. The color of the shampoo is clear as it does not contain any artificial colors. Regular use of this shampoo improves blood circulation in the scalp and stimulates the hair follicles which help in hair growth in the affected area. It is good for people of all ages and even pets. The price of the shampoo is a little higher than its other counterparts.
- Made up of natural ingredients including tea tree, sage, rosemary, and arnica which promote better hair growth and soothe the scalp.
- Regular use improves blood circulation and reduces itchiness.
- Contains no artificial colors or strong scents which can irritate the scalp.
- pH balanced formula works for all hair types.
- The price of the shampoo is a bit high as compared to other shampoos for psoriasis.
- It increases dandruff in some cases.
Tree to Tub Organic Sensitive Scalp Shampoo
Soapberries are known to be natural cleansers for hair and this shampoo uses organic soapberries to cleanse your hair and scalp without aggravating the symptoms of psoriasis. It uses anti-inflammatory ingredients to calm the skin and reduce itchiness and redness. The main ingredients of the shampoo include soapberry, aloe vera extracts, coconut extracts, chamomile extracts, organic shea butter, and lavender oil. All these ingredients are proven to heal damaged skin and soothe the affected area. It is safe and gentle for daily use as the formula is pH balanced and can be used on sensitive skin also. It does not contain any sulfates, parabens, silicones, perfume, or any other harmful chemicals which harm the body in the long run. Another advantage of this shampoo is that it returns oil to the dry scalp and hydrates the hair to improve hair growth and texture. The price of the shampoo is reasonable when compared to the quantity and the formula.
- Organic ingredients which clean the hair and the scalp naturally without any chemicals.
- Heals the affected area and soothes the skin using anti-inflammatory ingredients.
- Lathers well and cleans the hair well without making them greasy.
- The price is good as compared to the quantity.
- The organic formula takes more time than commercial formulas to show results.
- It weighs the hair down and makes them look greasy according to some users.
MG217 Psoriasis Medicated Conditioning 3% Coal Tar Formula Shampoo
Medicated shampoo formulas help a lot when it comes to Psoriasis and this shampoo from MG217 uses 3% coal tar to reduce itchiness and cleanse the scalp from dandruff and flakes. The shampoo comes in a round steel can so you need to shake it well before use. It has a pleasant herbal fragrance which does not stay for long and is also suitable for seborrheic dermatitis apart from Psoriasis. The formula of the shampoo has a good strength which also prevents the symptoms of psoriasis from recurrence. Coal tar reduces itching and also slows down the growth of skin cells to control flaking. It also removes build-up from the scalp so that your skin and hair can get proper oxygen supply. The quantity of the shampoo is good as one bottle lasts for around 2-3 months if used twice a week. The price of the shampoo is quite affordable and you can also get it at a good discount online.
- The medical strength formula reduces signs of psoriasis and prevents them from recurring.
- Removes product build-up from the scalp and promotes hair growth.
- It has a pleasant fragrance which is not too strong or irritating.
- Coal tar reduces itching and slows skin cell growth to prevent flaking.
- The fragrance of the product can be irritating for some users.
- Contains paraben and other chemicals.
Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo Original Formula
With four size options and four styles to choose from, this shampoo from Neutrogena provides a long-term solution for psoriasis and gives you relief from flaking and itching just after one use. The formula uses 2% coal tar to reduce the symptoms of dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis. The color of the shampoo is amber and it has a mild fragrance which can be a little bothersome for people as it stays on the scalp for 2-3 days. It is also safe for color-treated hair. If you use this shampoo for 2-3 months regularly, all the symptoms of psoriasis and dandruff can be eliminated permanently. It does dry out the hair because of the strong formula but you can follow it with a good conditioner to take care of the dryness. The shampoo lathers well and you only need a very small amount to wash medium length hair. The price of the shampoo is a bit high but since you need to use it in rotation with other shampoos, it lasts for a long time.
- The various size options make it easier to try this shampoo.
- Coal tar formula reducing itching and flaking right after one use.
- Lathers well and does not lead to product build-up on the scalp.
- Suitable for colored hair also.
- The formula dries out the hair as it has strong concentration.
- The fragrance of the product is not very pleasant and stays on the hair for 2-3 days.
- Price is a bit high.
ArtNaturals Scalp-18 Dandruff Shampoo
Infused with natural oils of lemon, jojoba, and argan, this shampoo from ArtNaturals is a favorite of many because of its gentle formula and professional results. It uses medicated coal tar in addition to these hydrating oils to provide relief from itching and flaking. It heals the skin of the scalp and works on all the symptoms of psoriasis gently. Regular use of this shampoo gives you healthier and shinier hair and a healthy scalp. The ingredients of the shampoo are rich in antioxidants which slow down the free radical process and hydrate the hair to strengthen them. Other ingredients of this shampoo include tea tree oil, aloe vera extracts, rosemary oil, citric acid, and peppermint oil. These oils heal the scalp and clean the hair of all the dirt and moisture to reveal beautiful healthy hair. The formula is suitable for daily use and can be used on all types of hair including a sensitive scalp. The quantity of the shampoo is good as one bottle lasts for 3-4 months and comes at an affordable price.
- Contains hydrating natural oils which control dryness and soothe the scalp.
- Active coal tar reduces itching and flaking without drying out the scalp.
- Quantity is good and the price is affordable.
- Peppermint and tea tree oils make the hair smell fresh and control bacteria growth.
- Hair becomes slightly oily because of the hydrating oils in the formula.
- The fragrance of the product is not good according to some users.
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Psoriatrax Coal Tar Psoriasis Shampoo
With three sizes to choose from, this coal tar shampoo from Psoriatrax is formulated especially for treating symptoms of psoriasis. It has a strong formula so it is advisable to use the shampoo after consulting with a dermatologist. It can be used for severe cases of psoriasis also. The formula lathers well and gets rinsed out easily. It contains 5% coal tar which is safe and suitable to use for reducing itching and scalp flaking. It also works if the itching has spread to the areas surrounding the scalp like ears or neck. The quantity of the shampoo is good as it comes in a large bottle which lasts for around 3 months. The fragrance is strong but it fades away after a while. All signs of scalp psoriasis begin to reduce just after a week of usage and you can eliminate psoriasis completely if you use the shampoo for a few months regularly. The price of the shampoo is high but you can buy two or more bottles together to save some money if the formula works for you.
- Three size options to choose from depending on the requirement.
- 5% coal tar works gently yet effectively on symptoms of psoriasis.
- Large quantity which lasts longer than other shampoo bottles.
- Suitable for mild to severe cases of psoriasis.
- The price is high as compared to the quantity.
- Can take some time to show results.
Dermasolve Psoriasis Shampoo
If you are looking for a shampoo for psoriasis which contains salicylic acid, this shampoo from Dermasolve is a good option to consider. It is a multi-functional product as it provides the benefits of both shampoo and conditioner with one formula. It contains 3% salicylic acid along with vitamins, proteins, and minerals to give you soft and healthy hair free of itching or flaking. It also contains peppermint oil and aloe vera to soothe the scalp and rejuvenate the skin cells. The formula is gentle and does not contain fragrances or steroids so it is safe to use on all types of hair including colored hair. The shampoo is available in two size options to choose from. The salicylic acid gently exfoliates the skin to remove red skin patches and reveals healthier skin which regulates hair growth. The shampoo also has a scalp oil and treatment cream available with a similar formula so you can use the three products in combination to get best results. Another advantage of this shampoo is that it not only treats the symptoms of psoriasis on the scalp but also relieves the body from any itching with its gentle formula. It reduces rashes also and gives visible results after just a few uses. The price is very high.
- Contains salicylic acid which is known to prevent itching and flaking of skin and hair.
- Uses 70 different types of vitamins and minerals to strengthen and heal the scalp and hair.
- Gently exfoliates the skin to reduce red rashes and promotes hair growth.
- Available in two size options to choose from.
- Offers the benefits of both shampoo and conditioner.
- Provides better results when used with a combination of products from the same range.
- The price is a little high as compared to other shampoos for psoriasis.
Wild Naturals Eczema & Psoriasis Soothing Shampoo
There are very few shampoos available in the markets which treat symptoms of eczema and psoriasis simultaneously and this shampoo from Wild Naturals is one such product. It contains aloe vera and cehami extracts which soothe the scalp and reduce inflammation. The formula does not contain any toxic chemicals and is free of SLS, parabens, artificial fragrances, and steroids. It uses coconut oil as a lathering agent so the shampoo does not produce as much lather as commercial shampoos do. Aloe vera penetrates into the scalp to heal and hydrate the drying skin to reduce flaking. It is pH balanced so it does not dry out the scalp or makes it feel greasy. The shampoo also contains organic Manuka honey which is known for its anti-bacterial properties. The highly concentrated formula offers good results with just a few uses and is gentle enough for all hair types. It does have a slightly unpleasant scent which does not stay in the hair for long. The price of the shampoo is very high but you can get it at a discount online.
- Uses natural ingredients like honey, aloe vera, and cehami extracts to clean the scalp and reducing itching.
- The formula is concentrated so only a small amount is needed to get visible results.
- Coconut oil lathers decently without clogging the pores like other lathering agents.
- Does not contain toxic chemicals which dry out the hair.
- Has an unpleasant scent according to some users.
- Does not lather as well as other commercial shampoos which might be an issue for some people.
- Price is very high for the quantity.
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Surface Awaken Therapeutic Shampoo
Specially formulated for colored hair, this shampoo offers many benefits in one with its sulfate-free formula. It seals the color and cleanses the hair without making the hair look greasy or limp. The shampoo stimulates the hair follicles and offers anti-aging benefits to the hair too. It is also suitable for thinning hair, dandruff, and itchy scalp apart from psoriasis. The formula is infused with botanical oils which nourish the hair and enhance the color. It also contains vitamin A, C, and E which provide many other benefits. It is vegan and does not contain any parabens which can cause many hair and scalp concerns if used continuously for a long period of time. You can use the shampoo together with the conditioner from the same range to get even better results when it comes to psoriasis. Regular usage of this shampoo promotes a healthy hair growth and reduces itchiness to a great extent. The price of the shampoo is reasonable as you get a good quantity for the price.
- Formulated for colored hair as it seals color and works on psoriasis symptoms simultaneously.
- Infused with botanical oils and vitamins which replenish and rejuvenate the skin and hair.
- Good for thinning hair also as it promotes hair growth.
- Price is reasonable for the quantity it offers.
- It takes some time to show visible results.
- The shampoo formula can be a little too gentle for damaged hair.
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo
Recommended by doctors, this shampoo uses aloe vera, caffeine, tea tree oil, and rosemary to repair your scalp and hair without damaging them further. It is suitable for all hair types and does not contain sulfates, parabens, or other harmful chemicals. The packaging of the shampoo is very convenient and easy to use as it comes in a pump bottle which dispenses just the right amount of product. The aloe vera and rosemary extracts soothe the scalp and reduce itchiness while the caffeine and the tea tree oil stimulate the hair roots to promote hair growth. Rosemary oil improves hair density and controls baldness. Tea tree oil also helps to control dandruff and has many other antibacterial properties. This hair support shampoo reduces hair loss also if you use it regularly. Another important ingredient of this shampoo is sage oil which has many important nutrients which improve scalp and hair health. The price of the shampoo is moderate as one bottle lasts for around 3-4 months if used twice a week.
- Uses aloe vera, rosemary, tea tree oil, and caffeine to promote hair growth.
- The pump packaging is convenient and easy to use.
- Price is good as compared to the quantity.
- It has a pleasant fragrance.
- Does not contain parabens, SLS, and other harmful chemicals.
- It does not control flakiness as much as other shampoos.
- Dries the scalp if too much product is used.
Here are some of the common questions asked by people before buying a shampoo for psoriasis to make an informed purchase:
Q: Can psoriasis go away on its own?
Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disorder with no permanent cure but there are many ways in which the symptoms of this condition can be kept under control. There are many levels of psoriasis so it is better to consult your doctor before taking any medication or using any products to get a relief from the itching and the flakiness. Mild psoriasis can go away by using simple over the counter medications but sever psoriasis needs special care.
Q: What will happen if psoriasis is not treated
If left untreated, psoriasis can lead to many other skin infections that can lead to serious medical conditions. Some people also make their skin bleed because of the intense itching. The burning sensation and the continuous itching can damage your skin permanently and make the open skin wounds susceptible to infections.
Q: How do you know if you have psoriasis of the scalp?
People who have psoriasis have red skin with silver patches or scales. The rashes might have an itching sensation and may bleed in some cases. It is not a transferable disease so you cannot get it from another person. Dry scalp and dandruff are some of the other symptoms of scalp psoriasis.
Q: How is eczema different from Psoriasis?
The main difference between psoriasis and eczema is that the patches of eczema are very dry while psoriasis patches do not always appear dry. The treatments for both the conditions are similar and the symptoms can often look very similar. Eczema normally results in pus-filled blisters while psoriasis results in silver scales with light or severe flaking.
Q: What are some ingredients that should be there in shampoos used for psoriasis?
Most shampoos used for treating scalp psoriasis contain medicated coal tar or salicylic acid to treat itchiness and flaking. These two ingredients control dandruff and soothe the scalp to reduce the symptoms. Other ingredients commonly found in shampoo used for psoriasis include aloe vera extracts, rosemary extracts, sage oil, peppermint oil, and tea tree oil.
Some tips to keep in mind when buying and using a shampoo for psoriasis to get desired results:
- Using good moisturizing products can help to keep the symptoms of psoriasis under control. Using hair oil or hydrating shampoo can make the symptoms milder with each use.
- Taking vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids regularly can not only provide relief from itching and flaking but also prevent the symptoms from recurring.
- Psoriasis can often get mistaken for eczema or seborrheic dermatitis as the symptoms are similar so it is better to consult a dermatologist to get to the root of the cause.
- Do not be disappointed if you do not find the right shampoo even after trying several shampoos for psoriasis as not all products work on all skin types. Try and consult people who have psoriasis as they can suggest some products which work.
- Use natural essential oils as topical treatments after washing your hair with these shampoos as these oils calm the skin and improve blood circulation in the region.
- Do not use shampoos which contain salicylic acid if you have sensitive skin as this acid causes skin peeling to remove damaged skin and reveal healthier skin.
- Using coconut oil regularly on the affected area helps to keep the symptoms of psoriasis under control as it holds the moisture and loosens up the scales to provide some relief.
- Try to avoid consumption of dairy, gluten products, and sugar when you are experiencing symptoms of psoriasis as these food items can trigger the symptoms in the wrong direction and can cause inflammation.
- Adding oatmeal to your bath water can help soothe the skin significantly as oatmeal moisturizes the skin and reduces itchiness with its hydrating formula.
- Shampoos which contain topical steroids are also good for keeping psoriasis under control so ask your dermatologist for such products and whether they are safe for your skin type or not.
Have you used a shampoo for psoriasis? How was your experience?